Monday, May 2, 2011

May 02

Can you believe it? I saw Ubaldo Jimenez walking out of the bank today when I went to pick up my wife from work. It is a day off for the Rockies and he was just walking like a normal person. I don’t know what I expected, but I just figured celebrities would all have body guards flanking them everywhere they went or something like that. I’m sure he has people coming up to him all the time looking for autographs, so I didn’t say anything to him, but I did nod and he nodded back. Speaking of the Rockies, they dropped two of three to the Pirates. (Ubaldo pitched yesterday’s loss, bummer) We went to their win on Saturday. It was our first game of the season, and it was cold. I knew it was going to be a little cold, but it was COLD COLD. There were about ten of us, so I dropped everyone off half a block away and went downtown to park the car in my wife’s work parking spot. (Free) Then, I walked back to the game. I got there right when they were taking the field. My granddaughter sat with me most of the game. She really had fun. We were singing and clapping and yelling at the players. We did the “Here we go Rockies, here we go” most. But, she decided the Pirates needed a song to, so she made up one that said “Don’t go Pirates, don’t go” She’s so cute. By the seventh inning, however, everyone was frozen and ready to go. So, I went to pick up the car and missed the last three innings. (Next time when the wife packs up the blankets and stuff, I don’t think we’re going to make fun of her. Not me of course, it was the kids) We’re taking on the Giants tomorrow. I hope we have as good a May as we did an April. We ended up 17 and 9. We’re three games up in the National League West and fourth in baseball. It looks like the Yankees, Indians, and the Marlins are ahead of us. But, all that can change with the swing of a bat.
We helped my sister-in-law move this weekend. I’m sure everyone knew about it, but I didn’t know until a few hours before we went to help her. And, of course, she had to be completely moved out by that evening. We got all of the big furniture out before we got the call. Her twelve year old daughter was babysitting her eight year old son while everyone was helping move. What happened was the two got into an argument over the TV remote or something and the little one called 911 on his sister. Since the sister-in-law had to stay so that everyone could unload the latest truckload into her new place (Her boyfriend’s parent’s house), my wife and I rushed back to find out what happened and wait for the police. As it turned out, after the little one called 911, he hung up as soon as someone answered. Naturally, they called back. The older one answered. When the operator asked to speak to an adult, she didn’t know what to do because there weren’t any there. So, she hung up on the 911 operator. They called back again and naturally, the twelve year old didn’t answer the phone. But, when they were explaining it to us, they said it was ok because they deleted the history on the caller ID. We made the kids talk to the police when they showed up and they firmly made it clear to them that 911 wasn’t a toy. The cops were pretty cool about everything when I talked to them, but I noticed something. They were little guys. I was a head taller than both of them, and they were skinny and real young. I guess I don’t have enough interaction with the police, because I was expecting some big guy.
After the move, we stopped off at a truck stop to eat. There is a TA on the way back and they had signs for a sit in restaurant along with a Pizza Hut, Popeye’s Chicken, and a Burger King. Naturally everyone wanted something different, so we stopped. We were thinking about going to the sit down restaurant, so we went to look at the menu. There was an all you can eat buffet and a salad bar that didn’t look too bad. While we were standing there looking, the girls moved behind my wife and I. I guess I had a confused look on my face because my youngest pointed behind me. I didn’t notice anything at first, but there was a guy over in the phone section that had his phone up. He was taking a video of my girls and the other girls in the truck stop. (Very creepy) When he saw me looking, he stopped. We decided to go the other side of the store where the fast food section was. I made sure he didn’t follow. The food was good, I split a chicken alfredo pasta dish from Pizza Hut with my youngest daughter and I had a po’boy sandwich from Popeye’s. They were both really good.
Well, this posting is getting pretty long, so I’ll stop here for today. I’m going to put on some Night Ranger, Chicago, and REO Speedwagon into the playlist for background music. I started chapter three on Friday, but I didn’t get very far into it. I’ll work on that today. But, like Friday, I have to split my time between my project and my book. (I really hate it when work gets in the way of my work, when I’m at work)
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment