Monday, May 9, 2011

May 9

Where to start..? Where to start? It was a very full weekend. We had a very good barbeque on Mother’s Day. Most of my sister’s kids didn’t show up. But, the one that did brought her new boyfriend over. He seemed ok. He was very attentive of her son and at least he talked to everyone. A lot of the time when someone brings a boyfriend or girlfriend over, they never speak with anyone. I was in charge of the hamburgers and finding the park to have the barbeque at. I guess my directions weren’t the best in the world because it took everyone a little bit to find the place. I got there a little early so that I could set up the grill and the canopies and tables and chairs. Then, I left my daughter to watch everything as I went to pick up the rest of the family. We get nearly all the way back to the park when my wife remembers we forgot the hamburgers, the buns, and half the condiments. When we all got there, we played a little ball and everyone started catching up. I decided to get the hamburgers and hotdogs started, so I slap them on the grill. When it comes time to flip them, however, I realize that we didn’t bring a spatula. Not a good start. We ended up using a knife to flip them.
Have you ever seen those movies where two old people get together on a park bench or somewhere and all they talk about is their ailments? Well, I don’t know how we got on the subject, but one of my brothers and I got to talking and wouldn’t you know, all of our aches and pains were the topics. My niece’s new boyfriend was right there listening and he was smiling. I could just hear him thinking that we were those two old people sitting on one of those park benches. Yeah, I felt really old. But, I could still throw that football. I couldn’t catch it, but I could throw it across the field.
Even though we had three canopies, I still managed to get a really nice sun burn. My entire face and arms are all red. Shaving for work was an experience today, but the worst part was taking a shower. My burn really didn’t want hot water to be used in the shower. So, I took a quick one and then let the cold water just run over my head. That water got really cold really quick. But, the burn felt good for about thirty seconds.
My mom had fun. We called my sister who lives in Nevada. She works for Amazon and they are sending her to Canada for a few weeks when they open their new distribution center up there. She was saying that she might even take a position out there if they offer it to her. She’s been in Nevada for I don’t know how many years and I still haven‘t visited her out there. I’m going to have to put in a much better effort to visit her if she moves out of the country.
The Rockies had a rough weekend. We lost four in a row. The Giants swept us. Half the time, we led through most of the game and lost in the ninth or in extra innings. It really sucked. The worst part was that I didn’t get to see hardly any of them. But, the losing streak is over. We beat the Mets tonight. It was also a close game. Chris Iannetta really came through. He hit a double and was brought home by Dexter Fowler. Then, he hit the only home run. It was pretty exciting. I was able to watch most of it. During the bottom of the seventh, I had to take my granddaughter home and go to work. When we got in the car, she was so talkative, that I forgot to put the game on in the radio. It wasn’t until I was driving away from her house that I even thought about it. When I go to work from her house, the easiest way is to pass right by Coors Field. So, as I was driving, I started thinking about calling my wife to see what inning they were in. If it was a later inning, I would have to drive around the long way to miss the traffic. Then, I nearly hit myself in my sunburned head. I turned it on quickly and was able to catch the last at bat of the Mets.
The wife and I went to see Fast Five, the latest installment in the Fast and Furious movie series. It was great and action packed. They brought all of the guys back from the first ones. (Not including the stupid Tokyo Drift one that didn’t belong in the series) And, they brought in the Rock. He is one big dude. It looked like he bulked up for the film. He and Diesel were on opposing sides and of course, they had to get into a fight. It was really good. (For some reason, the Rock sweated through the whole movie. I don’t know if that was planned or not. No one else was that sweaty) I hadn’t gone to see a movie in such a long time. We even finished the popcorn, and it was a huge bucket.
My wife got placed in a new building temporarily. So, she’s working five days. Her dollar per hour is going to change, but at least she is working. She’ll be working as a floater until they place her somewhere permanently. We’ll see how it goes. She wants to find a new job. It’s been time to move on for a while. She had been there for four years and there is no opportunity for advancement. She hasn’t decided if she wants to go back to school or just jump back into the job market. But, depending on where this new building is, we’re going to be tight on the car. I get off at 6 and she has to go out to Broomfield and start at 7. It’s going to be close. We’re going to check it out tomorrow after I wake up. Since it is going out of town, she shouldn’t have to deal with too much traffic. Most of that will be trying to get into town at rush hour. We’ll see.
Well, I better start working. I’m putting Whitesnake, Twisted Sister, Motley Crew, and Def Leopard in the playlist for background music. (Heavy on the Def Leopard)
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment