Monday, May 23, 2011

May 23

I don’t know what kind of granddaughter my kids are raising, but something is seriously wrong. My wife was spending the day with her today and when I got back home, she told me that she was doing some cleaning. Then, she told me the terrible thing my granddaughter has ever said. She said that my granddaughter told her to let her know the next time my wife was going to clean the bathroom, because she wanted to help. I don’t think myself or any of my kids have ever offered to clean something, much less the bathroom. It’s unnatural. My poor granddaughter has fallen into a bad habit and I’m just going to have to break her of it.
Speaking of my granddaughter, she didn’t want to go home this weekend. Friday night after we came back from going out to dinner and this afternoon after she spent the night, she just started crying. She’s not prone to throwing fits or anything. I just think she was having so much fun that she didn’t want to stop. But, when we pick her up, she always tells us that she can’t stay too long because she needs to get back to her home so she can play with the little girls downstairs and across the street.
It was a good thing that the prom was going on this weekend, because it drew my attention away from the Rockies fiasco. The stupid Brewers swept us. They were close games and all, and they came off of Jason Giambi’s awesome three home run game the other day. We were on an upswing and then we head off to Milwaukie. They didn’t televise Sunday’s game which really sucked. Ubaldo pitched on Saturday, and he stayed in until late in the game which is good, but he still hasn’t won a game this year. The boys were off today and they have a double header at home tomorrow against Arizona. But, that puts us four games back from the Giants and only a half a game up from the Diamondbacks. We are only one game over five hundred and the Diamondbacks haven’t been above five hundred yet this year. We can’t let them get there now. We need to sweep Arizona here to get everything back on track. Then, we can worry about overtaking the Giants.
As I mentioned above, this weekend was my eldest daughter’s prom. On Friday night, the night of the prom, we took the kids out to get their picture taken. We didn’t want to leave it to chance at the prom. (Sometimes, those pictures don’t turn out so good and sometimes the kids forget to get them taken) So, we go to the place and they turn out pretty good. But, we didn’t have time to wait around for them to develop, even though they said it would only take a half hour. Instead, we took everyone out to eat. Since it was a special occasion, we decided to go somewhere nice and somewhere we haven’t been before. We were downtown, and there are a lot of nice places there. We decided on Mexican and found a nice looking place called El Noa Noa. With my daughter’s prom date, there were eight of us and two cars. We should have been discouraged because there wasn’t adequate parking. But, it looked nice on the outside, so we parked on a side street and went in anyway. (Big mistake) We all sat down and someone took our drink order. By the time they actually brought our drinks, my daughter and her date had to go or they would miss the prom. (Yeah, it was that long) To top it off, they forgot some of the drinks. We assumed that they just couldn’t carry all of them and they would bring the forgotten drinks on a return trip. Nope! Everyone had finished their drink and were hoping for refills or someone to come take our order. Since no one came, my son got up and crossed the room to where all of the waitresses and waiters were standing around talking. He got them to bring the missing drinks and bring refills. And, they even took our order. The food came quickly and it was good. The servings were big and we received what we ordered. But, we made the mistake of assuming the service would improve. It didn’t. Mexican food can be hot at times, and sometimes you need to get another refill while you are eating. That didn’t happen. With dry cups, and dirty plates all over the table, we waited and waited and waited until we could flag someone down. We didn’t want to stay any longer, so we asked for boxes to take the leftovers in and for the check. When the guy finally brought everything over, I had my credit card in hand. I intended to slip it into the check folder and give it right back. I didn’t even care if I checked the total or looked for a discrepancy. But, even though the waiter saw that I had it ready, he just dropped it off and turned away. We had to wait another twenty minutes before he would come back and pick it up. And then, we had to wait another twenty minutes after he picked it up to bring it back. I have a tendency to be a chincy tipper when the ice tea doesn’t taste very good. So, I knew that I wasn’t going to leave a big tip. Since the service was so bad at this place, I actually didn’t leave a tip at all. It was the first time in my history of going to restaurants that I didn’t leave at least something. So, anyone that reads this, do not go to Le Noa Noa on 722 Santa Fe Drive in Denver unless you like being ignored, have several hours to kill, and you have brought in a thermos.
Prom went ok. My daughter said that she had fun. They took the van and said that they were going to go to a movie and walk along the sixteenth mall after it was over. During the night, they called and said that they were going to spend the night at my son’s house. That meant that they were going to stay out late and didn’t want us to know when they were getting in or where they were going. But, they are good kids and they didn’t get into any trouble. My youngest daughter wanted to go to an after prom party. She’s a junior and wanted to go to the prom too. (It was open to juniors) We were going to let her go to the after prom party for a little while, but her ride fell through and she ended up staying home.
The day after prom was a recovery day. We went to pick up the baby because when she went home crying Friday night, I told her that I would pick her up Saturday and take her out to get ice cream. We did and then went to run some errands. At around fivish, we decided to go get something to eat. We drove to about five different fast food places before we decided on Carl’s Jr. For some reason, something went wrong at all of the places we were going to stop at. For instance, Pizza Hut used to have a really nice salad bar. When we got there, the whole thing was remodeled and the salad bar was gone. It just wasn’t a good eating weekend.
Since there wasn’t any baseball, we had to sit around and talk to each other. (Longest weekend ever) No, just kidding. My wife played Farmville and Cafeworld all evening. My youngest daughter watched a Harry Potter marathon. I played with my granddaughter and made way too much noise. My eldest daughter slept all day recovering from the prom.
My wife’s old job called her and begged her to come back. They just couldn’t replace her. So, she starts back up next Monday. She was already scheduled for different places this week. One of her friends at work went into the hospital. She has pneumonia. She was in all weekend and just got the breathing tube pulled out today. My wife wanted to go visit her today, but I had the car. So, she called. Her friend is doing better, but it was very rocky for a while.
I finished chapter 5 and started chapter 6. I should get pretty far into it today. I might even get most of it done. I had an idea on the way to work that I want to incorporate into this chapter. So, I’m putting Dire Straits, Chicago, and the Eagles into the playlist for background music while I get started.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment