Sunday, August 8, 2010

Aug 8th

A lot has happened since my last blog. I finally got a day off and it just happened to coincide with my daughter’s sweet sixteen birthday party. Which was nice, I would have been in deep you-know-what if it wouldn’t have. The party was a big success. It’s been so long since we’ve had a really good escape like that, I think everyone was really ready for it. Of course there was way too much food, so that means leftovers for the next week or so for everyone. We did have a few snafus. It started out at 98 degrees in the shade. But, it was so shady that it started to rain. We had prepared for that eventuality. We bought several collapsible canopies or tents. I’m not sure what they were called. They were ten by ten so the tables fit nicely under them. We begged borrowed or stole enough tables and chairs to fill my brother and sister-in-law’s back yard. (We didn’t really steal any, but that might have been cheaper) When the rain came, it wasn’t a disaster until it started angling in sideways. So, we had to move everyone inside where it got really hot. Just as we finished bringing in all the chairs and wiping them down, the rain stopped. It was too hot to stay inside, so we dragged them all back outside. We had one of those big bouncing things for the kids. I’m not sure what that is called either. But, it looked like a castle and it was filled with air so that they can climb in and jump around. It was a big hit and kept the little ones occupied. One of my daughter’s uncles hired a DJ for the party as his present to her, so we set him up in the garage. With the door open, there was plenty of room for dancing. I led it off with my daughter, but no one really got out on the floor until we started serving the booze. We held it back until after everyone arrived and all of the cake and regular party stuff was over. I was the designated driver, so I didn’t partake, but it got much more interesting after everyone started drinking. We only had one accident with one uncle that either danced too much or drank too much. Either way, he landed on the floor with a twisted ankle. I did have a neighbor that wandered over talk to me for about twenty minutes. It took him that long to realize that I didn’t speak Spanish and had no idea what he was saying. The party didn’t break up until well after three in the morning, but I had to leave just before one. My wife was getting just a little too happy. Then, today, we had to wake up early – 11:30 to go back and help clean up. That was much more work than setting it up.
Great news: Football season is officially underway. The Hall of Fame game was today. The Cowboys spanked the Bangles 16-7. The first Bronco game is on Sunday the 15th against the Bangles. I mistakenly thought that their first game was today, and I was telling everyone. But, when I went to look for it so that I could schedule everything else I had to do around it, I couldn’t find it. I had to look it up again before I figured out what had happened. I have two daughters. One’s birthday is on the 4th which we celebrated yesterday on Saturday and the other’s is on the 14th. They’re different months, but somehow I saw the 15th on the schedule and decided that it was the day after the birthday party (Which wasn’t even on her birthday so I don’t know why I was thinking it in the first place) So, we have to wait another whole week before we get some Bronco football action. On the other hand, the Rockies beat the Pirates today, 8-4. Our starting pitching has been having some issues of late and we brought up Esmil Rogers from triple-A to start. He did a really good job and got the win. So, we split the four game series with the Pirates. We have the Mets on Tuesday. Ubaldo will be on the mound, so we should have a really good game.
Grandpa’s Faerie is now available in book form. It was available only in Kindle for last week. But, I approved the proof on Saturday morning and it is now out on Amazon. Or, you can pick it up from my website. www.thomnichols.com I finished chapter 19 on Friday and have a good start into chapter 20. I’m hoping to finish it tonight. I worked a little bit on the Great Detective and I put down a few pages to the one that came to me in the car the other day. I really don’t want to start it yet. I want to get these others finished first, but I just had to get some of it down. I’ll try to stay away from it, but sometimes when a story comes to me like that it pushes the other stuff out of my mind and wants me to work just on it. Ok, I put in some Pink Floyd and Zeppelin on the play list and I’m ready to get going.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment