Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Aug 11

I only got a few pages into chapter 22 yesterday. I was helping a buddy with a C++ program and it got the better of me. I finished most of it, but in doing I didn’t get a lot of work done on my books. So, I’m going to try to get chapter 22 done today or maybe work a little on chapter 16 of the Great Detective. It depends on which one I’m feeling when I start. My biggest distraction will be Harry Potter. While working on the C++, I stuck in the third Harry Potter audio book so that I would have something to listen to while working. I can’t listen to audio books while writing because I’d focus too much on what I was listening to and forget what I was trying to put down on paper. Unfortunately, the Harry Potter books take quite a few hours to listen to the whole story. I only heard the first few hours and even though I have read the books and listened to the audio, I still want to finish listening to the one I started last night. I mean, they hadn’t even gotten to Hogwarts yet. So, I think I’m going to put it out of my mind for the first part of the night and then, in my last hour, I’ll put it in as a “Good Job” pat on the back for getting some solid work in.
The Rockies won their game against the Mets today. Yesterday was so rough. We didn’t even get one run. Today, it looked like it was going to be a repeat. We gave them two runs in the first inning and we went a solid six innings without a sniff. Then, we got one in the seventh and five more in the eighth. We took the game at 6-2. And, with the Dodgers losing, that put us back into third place. We play the Mets again tomorrow to see who gets the series. We are, at the moment five games behind the Giants and six behind the Padres. The Padres look like they’re going to win their came against Pittsburg. It’s the top of the seventh and the game is 7-4. So, they’ll go up to seven games up on us. But, the Giants are tied in the bottom of the eighth. If they lose, we’ll stay at six games under them. On the Bronco frontier, it looks like a bunch of our players are getting hurt in training camp. It hasn’t even been the first pre-season game. That doesn’t look good. But, there are only two more days until they play. It’s at 5:30 Denver time, so if my boss calls to ask me to come to work, I’m not even answering the phone.
The kids are doing well. My son was talking to me today about apartments. It looks like he is serious about moving out. It will be weird not having my granddaughter running around, but it will be good for them. I remember my first apartment. It was a disaster. I hope they have better luck. They are starting to buy stuff for the place. They started with the essentials. They already have one TV, but they got two more, one for their bedroom and one for the baby’s bedroom. I think I may have gone in a different direction, but it’s their first place. School for the girls starts in a few weeks. They’re excited. We don’t live that close to their school, so there are a lot of friends they don’t get to hang around with as much as they would like. Now that my daughter’s birthday party is over with, my wife gets to stress about school supplies and uniforms and shoes. (She’s not happy unless she’s stressing over something.) My granddaughter is only two and a half and yesterday, she sang the whole ABC song to me without missing any letters. I guess she has been doing it for a while, but it was the first time I heard her go through the whole thing. She also has Twinkle Twinkle and Where is Thumbkin down. I was pretty impressed. She still has trouble with Ring around the Roses, but she’ll get it.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment