Sunday, January 2, 2011

Jan 2

Happy New Years everyone. I know it’s actually the second, but I didn’t work yesterday. I took the day off for my granddaughter’s birthday. She is now three and was a New Years baby and was the first to be born at the hospital, but not the first of the new year. Luckily her party was at four in the afternoon. It gave everyone a chance to sober up or recover. I did have to work on New Year’s Eve and I didn’t get off until two in the morning. I had to stay because they were shooting off fireworks and the boss wanted to make sure nothing happened with all of the drunks. The fireworks were nice. They weren’t as good as last year. It might have been because it was minus three degrees, or they just might have been better last year. If anything, they were loud. There were also a lot of police around to keep the peace. They should have given a lot of tickets out to the idiot parents that took their babies to watch the fireworks. I wanted to go over and slap the you-know-what out of a few of them. They came all bundled up in jackets and winter stuff. But, did they bundle up their infant kids? No, they wrapped them up in little blankets. Half the time, I could see little legs and arms sticking out. When they are that young, they don’t know what fireworks are and don’t care. They just want to be warm.
When I did get off, I went over to my brother-in-law’s house where my wife and one of my daughters were celebrating the holiday. Yes, everyone was three sheets to the wind. (Except my daughter, she hooked her computer up to the stereo and played DJ for all of the inebriated people.) Since I was sober, I was the designated driver. But, since it was so late, there weren’t very many people still standing. I tried to stop off and get something to eat on the way home. Wendy’s was closest and open 24 hours. When I got there, at about four in the morning, there was a line about twenty people in line and only two employees working. When I got in line, they said that they weren’t even taking any new orders for another fifteen to twenty minutes. Instead of staying, I decided to go to 711 to get nachos. But, on the way, across the street from Wendy’s, there was a Burger King with a twenty four hour drive through. Pulling in, there were only two cars in front of me and they zipped in and out.
Pouring my wife into bed, I ate and went to sleep and didn’t get up until noon on Saturday. It took us forever to make it out the door so we could get to the baby’s party. We dropped off a bunch of tables and chairs and then had to go get her a present. We went to Target, and it was difficult finding something that we didn’t get her for Christmas. (Just kidding. We spoiled her, but not that badly.) We did, however, want to get her something good. I convinced my wife that, being grandparents, we had to get her the best present. So, we got her a Barbie Princess collection. There were seven dolls all in one box. It had all of the main princesses, Little Mermaid, Cinderella, etc… After picking out the present, I let my wife look at the baby clothes, because she can spend two or three hours doing it and never move from one rack to the next. I wandered up to the front to go to the bathroom and I had to pass all of the registers. It seemed like every hot woman in the store took that time to check out. I wanted to take my time, but I had to go. When my wife was done looking at the clothes, and it was our time to check out, there were only old ladies and guys up at the register.
The Princess collection was the right choice. At the party, after the food and the cake, when she was opening presents, she wanted to open our first. Then, between every other present, she kept wanting to return to ours so she could play with it. Before we left, however, all of the dolls were missing all of their shoes and tiaras. The party was a sleep over for a bunch of the little girls. I’m sure that by the next morning, all of their hair was untied and all of the clothing was missing. I’m not sure why all Barbie dolls end up naked in our house, but they do, even when my girls were little.
Today, I went to the Bronco game. It was the last game of the season and it was great. We didn’t win, but it came down to the wire. There were some mistakes. Tebow threw two interceptions and some of the play calling was ridiculous. But, in the fourth quarter, we scored, bringing us within five points. That included a few fourth down conversions. We were under a minute and we had to do an onside kick. At first it didn’t look like we were going to get it, but somehow one of our guys fell on it. We had twenty three seconds to do something. Tebow threw one to the sideline. It was a completion, but short passes like that weren’t going to do anything for us. Down to sixteen seconds, he threw two into the end zone. Both times, they were very close. But, we didn’t come down with either. Instead of blaming anyone on the team or the coaches, I’m going to blame this loss on the cheerleaders. Me and my nephew went, and we had really good seats. We were on the first level, only twelve rows from the field. We were down near one of the end zones, but we could still spit on the field if we wanted to. Anyway, we had a really hot bunch of cheerleaders right in front of us during the first quarter. While they were there, we scored and kept the Chargers from scoring. But, then they had to change the cheerleaders and San Diego started scoring.
I’m not sure which chapter I’m on today, but I’ll get it started after I do some work work. I’m putting on some Guns n Roses, Cinderella, Dio, and Dokken on the playlist for background music.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment