Wednesday, July 7, 2010

July 7

Let’s start by introducing myself. My name of course is Thom Nichols. This is my first entry so let’s get to know me. I’m going to turn 45 this year in October. I have a wife of 19 years. I have three kids and one granddaughter. I live in Denver Co and I’m trying to get my books published. I have 8 full length fantasy novels, self-published, currently available on Amazon.com. I went through Createspace to publish them. They are available in book form and digital for your Kindle or other e-reader. I am in the process of getting them on Google’s site. They are still in the processing stage. You can take a look at them on my website www.thomnichols.com or on amazon.com and search for Thom L Nichols. I’ll let everyone know when they are available on Google. My 9th book is finished and I have sent it out to literary agents. I am waiting for my last rejection before I self publish it with the others.
Publishing isn’t as easy as it looks. It is almost impossible to get a book published unless you are already published. It does happen, but it is very difficult. I’ve had some really good feedback, but also about a hundred rejections. One of the hard parts is finding an honest agent. Most publishing houses won’t look at unsolicited manuscripts. I started halfheartedly a few years ago, and I wasn’t very diligent about the whole process. I just wanted to write the books. I didn’t want to go through all of the cover letter and synopsis writing and keeping track of who I sent them to and everything. So, this year, I decided to self publish and put up a website to see what happens. So far, I’ve had some good results. After my last rejection on my latest book (Grandpa’s Faerie), I’m going to try getting it on the shelves of a Denver based bookstore (The Tattered Cover). I’ll blog the process when its time. If that works, I might try something even bigger, maybe something like Barns and Noble.
Well, enough about my books. How about those Rockies? I thought they were going to do much better this year, but the bats haven’t been there. We aren’t doing bad. We did lose today, but we’re at 45 and 38. That’s only four games out of first in the National League West. I’m still sure that we’ll come back after the All Star Break and move into first place. I’m going to the Saturday game against the Padres. It’s the fifth game I’ve been able to see this year.
All right, I’m at work right now, and I’m running out of time for this blog. So, I’ll cut it off here and pick it up next time.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment