Tuesday, July 13, 2010

July 13

Well, it’s another Monday. I spent the day at the recruiter’s office. My eldest daughter is planning on joining the military when she finishes high school this coming up year. So, we figured it would be a good idea to go get some information. She isn’t crazy about the water, so we didn’t even go to the Navy. We tried the Army first and they were polite, but they were more interested in signing her up now. I told them that we were just there for information. I mean she has an entire year left of high school and kids always change their minds. She has been in JROTC for the last two years and is planning on taking it this coming up year, so I know she’s planning on going. But, I still didn’t want to sign her up right then. We visited the Marines next. And, even though I am a former Marine, the guy that was there was wearing shorts and flip flops. He said he was just covering the office but worked out of a different one in a different city. He did talk a lot more to us, but he stressed that only about ten percent of the Marine Corps were women. Even though he took her name and information, he looked a little reluctant to go much further. The Air Force was a different experience all together. The woman we talked to went over everything and it looks like a much better fit for my daughter. I was very impressed and if I wasn’t so old, I probably would have signed myself up. We took all the information from all three branches, but I think the Air Force is where she’s going to go. Since she will have three years of JROTC, she is going to go in as an E3 which is the third enlisted rank. That was my rank when I got out of the Marines. But, I got into a little bit of trouble while I was in. I should have gotten out as an E4, but what can I say. What I really should have done was stay in and I could have retired eight years ago and gotten a paycheck for the rest of my life. (If I only knew)
The Rockies lost their last game with the Padres, but we still took the series. We’re tied with the Dodgers now, two games behind the Padres. Then, we have a huge road tour after the All Star Break. We’ll see how it goes. My wife told me today that she can get 3 tickets to the Broncos second preseason game against the Detroit Lions. I’m going to see if my two brothers want to split the cost and go. I’ve only been to one Bronco game. It was a year or two ago against the Vikings. It was the last game of the season. We won, but we didn’t go to the playoffs. Although I am a big Rockies fan, I am also a big Bronco fan. And, there is only a little over a month away until the first preseason game. I can’t wait.
I finished chapter 13 this weekend and started chapter 14. I didn’t get very far because I was dead tired. It seems like I haven’t gotten a day off in a month. I’m going to work a little bit on 14 today, but it won’t be too much. I have a buddy in college and he’s taking a C++ class. He’s having a little trouble with a program he’s writing. I said that I would look it over for him and give him some pointers. I’d better do that first.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment