Monday, April 4, 2011

April 4

What a weekend, let’s kick it off with the Rockies. The lost our home opener, but they beat the Diamondbacks on Saturday. The Friday game was really close. We were hosed on a couple of calls which I am sure would have turned the game around. Helton was called out on a fan interference call which shouldn’t have happened. Para, the Diamondback’s left fielder was nowhere close to the ball when the fan reached over and caught it. But they called him out anyway. Then, Smith caught a ball out in right field and they said it hit the ground. The instant replay showed that he clearly caught it. I don’t know what the officials were smoking that day, but it cost us the opener. Saturday’s game was a three to one win. It was a good game. Ianetta got a couple of good hits and Fowler, Gonzalez, and Tulo made some amazing catches. But, our hitting hasn’t blossomed quite yet. I think Sunday’s game would have been our break out game. It would have gotten the ball rolling for our first winning streak. Unfortunately, Colorado weather got to us. It was eighty degrees Saturday all the way into the evening and then it snowed on Sunday. Since there wasn’t any baseball for the Rockies today, we have to wait until Tuesday. I know it’s just two days off, but it shouldn’t happen so early in the season. It’s almost like we were back in Spring Training waiting for opening day. The only good thing is that our two starting pitchers will have an extra day to recover from their finger injuries.
Even thought I had planned to make time for Saturday’s game, the family and I had a full day planned. I’m not sure what happened, I woke up with a severe pain in my stomach. It was so bad I was sweating and felt dizzy, I nearly passed out. My wife kept trying to get me to go to the hospital, but I’m pretty stubborn. I told her that I would see if it passed during the day and then go on Sunday if it didn’t get any better. I took a laxative and rested most of the afternoon. The pain was still there, but I told her that it was mostly gone so that she wouldn’t worry. But, it ruined the whole day and we didn’t end up doing anything.
Sunday, the pain was still there, but it was lessened. I’m sure that I just ate something that didn’t agree with me. So, we slept in late and then went to a family get together on my side of the family. We all met at Chuck E Cheese. Only one niece and one nephew didn’t show up. We had a lot of fun with the kids and caught up on the family gossip. My mom brought homemade goodies. There were chocolate and peanut butter fudge squares and lemon tarts. They were delicious. She also made deviled eggs. I didn’t get any of them, but I brought the other leftovers home. We had about a dozen pizzas and hot wings. I forced all of the kids to get a picture for me. I’m going to scan them in and make a collage as a background on my computer. I think we’re going to try to make this a monthly thing over the summer and maybe permanent depending on how well everyone else thinks about it. My mom wants the next one to be at the zoo, but she’s open to suggestions. I’m going to put up an event in Facebook for everyone to enter their suggestions hopefully tonight. We’ll see.
After Chuck E cheese, my wife and I took my mom out to Sweet Tomatoes. It’s an all you can eat salad, soup, and potato bar. It’s really good and I hadn’t been for a long time. So, we didn’t really eat at Chuck E Cheese so we could save up for the salads. I went to town on mine. I was so full that I didn’t even get a chance to eat any soup or potatoes or the variety of breads and desserts. It was lemon month and I love lemon flavored things, so I took a bunch home for later. It’s Monday evening now, and I still haven’t eaten it all. (I’m going to be soooo full for the next few days)
While we were at Chuck E Cheese, we were all looking out at the snow and talking about how you couldn’t predict the weather in Colorado when my wife remembered that we left the dog outside. She frantically called her mom and had someone go upstairs to open our door to let her come inside. We didn’t think anything about it after that as we enjoyed the rest of the day. Canela is a fairly well behaved dog. She goes crazy with excitement whenever anyone comes into a room, and she has an accident every once in a while. But, otherwise, she’s ok. When we got home, however, I realized that I didn’t take out the trash. It was all bundled up and ready go when we left. When we opened the door, it was strewn from one side of the apartment to the other. It looked like there was twice as much as there was before we left. Everything was shredded and flung everywhere. It was amazing at how much of a mess there was. To top it off, the puppy was up on the bed when we walked in. She’s allowed up on the sofas, but she knows she isn’t supposed to be on the bed. My wife was furious. But, her mad only lasted until everything was cleaned up. After that, the puppy peed on her pad and she was babying her again.
To celebrate, we went out and picked up some movies. I didn’t get to see them all, and like usual, the kids brought some of them downstairs to watch. Unlike last time, we got a few movies that the kids wanted to watch. So, when they took some downstairs, they took those and not the ones I wanted to watch. Last time, I didn’t even get to see any of the good ones. They never brought them back upstairs.
Today I went to visit my mom like I try to do every Monday. I didn’t get to last week because of the car. It’s fixed now. When we took it to the shop, we took it to the one that my wife and her dad always goes to. When they saw me, they quoted a price of nearly two hundred dollars. Then, later on, my wife called the mechanic and asked if they would also take a look at our clutch. (It has been slipping out of reverse lately) The mechanic said that he would give her a new quote the next day after looking at it. The next day, my wife went down to the mechanics to find out what was going on. She spoke to them in Spanish and told them that I was just her ride yesterday. So, with the added work of the clutch, the price went down to only $120.00.
We also went to the DMV to try to get my license plates for the new car. The last few times we went, it was crowded and after waiting through the line for hours, we got up to the window only to find out that our paperwork hadn’t been submitted from the car lot. Today, I went to the DMV and got a number. It was #303 and they were only on #215. Then, I left and went to pick my wife up from work. Nearly an hour later, we returned to the DMV and they had made it all the way up to #240. Instead of staying for another two or three hours, we decided it would be better to go get something to eat and come back another day. So, we’re still driving on an outdated temp tag on the new car. I’ll try to go after work on Wednesday. I have to come in for a couple of hours around noon for some training thing. Hopefully it won’t be as busy then.
Well, I didn’t get much work done in the latter part of last week. I was working on that project. I’m about three quarters of the way through, so I’m going to get that done today. Tomorrow, I’ll start chapter two of the River of Magic. I’m putting some Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, and April Wine in the playlist today for background listening. Last week, while working on the project, I threw in the ending of Harry Potter’s book seven. I just wasn’t in the mood for music while I was doing real work. I might finish it off today, they were in the middle of the battle of Hogwarts when I finished last week. We’ll see.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment