Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sep 23

I don’t know what’s going on with the school system this year. We had the parent teacher conference yesterday. They said that they are no longer using the ‘D’ as a grade. They aren’t changing the scale for the first three grades, so ‘A, B, and C’ will still be the same. But, anything under that will be a failing grade. My eldest daughter is a very good student in all of her other classes, but she was a ‘D’ student in English. ‘D’ was barely passing, but it was passing. Now, she has to work so much more just to get up to a ‘C’. She is a senior this year, and a requirement for graduation is for every student to receive an acceptance into college. It takes months for the colleges to interview and decide on students and then send out the acceptance letters. It takes so long that if you don’t get it started in the first quarter of the school year, you might not get it by the end of the school year. Now, she is going to have to overcome a failing grade which will exclude her from many schools. I really don’t like this new grading scale. My wife is going to call the school principal and the school board.
It has also been a very aggravating series against the Arizona Diamondbacks. We lost the first two games and in the top of the seventh inning of today’s game we were down eight to two. But, as I was typing, Carlos Gonzalez just hit a Grand Slam to bring us back into this ballgame. Carlos is a home run hitter, but he has been in a long ball slump. He has still been hitting. He’s working on a nine game hitting streak. But, it’s been a while since he’s hit a home run. It’s nice to see that streak broken. He’s at 33 homers for the season.
The girls had to drive me to work today. My wife is working some overtime today. She normally works seven to three, but today she has to go in at three in the morning. It sucks having only one car. We gave our other one to my son. But, I think it’s about time to get another one. It will officially be for my wife, but she probably won’t drive it as much as my daughter. Then, my youngest is going to have her license next year. We’ll need another one then.
I got about half way through chapter 38 yesterday. I should be able to finish it up today. That is as long as the baseball game doesn’t go into extra innings. If it does, I’m going to have to watch it on the computer. I’m not sure what I’m going to put in the play list. But, the Diamondbacks just made another run, so I better finish this and pay more attention to the game.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment