Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sep 2

Why is it that everyone in the whole city picks the same day to forget how to drive? It took me nearly twenty minutes extra to get to work today. There was one guy getting off of I70 and onto I25 south that was going only fifteen miles an hour with no one in front of him. Of course there was construction on the ramps leading from one to the other so there was only one lane open and no one could go around the idiot. Don’t get me wrong, the speed limit was reduced because of the construction. Instead of fifty five, it was reduced to thirty five. I don’t know where the guy got fifteen from. Then, I had to go the long way around Coors Field because the Rockies were getting out and that would have been another twenty minutes. So, I manage to get behind someone that had something else better to do while they were driving. At every stop sign and stop light, it took him an extra five minutes to stop what he was doing so that he could start driving again. I’ve never heard so many horns blaring but the guy didn’t care. Whatever book he was reading while driving must have been getting to a really good part. He even sat through an entire green light as he was rummaging around in his glove compartment. Finally, the Taste of Colorado is going on this weekend for the holiday. That means that they close off the main thoroughfare through downtown. The put up roadblocks and everything. It happens about five or ten times a year for different events. And, every time, the whole city can’t figure out how to get where they’re going. They drive about five miles an hour and look at the road blocks for several minutes before they realize that they can’t go that way. Then, they slowly drive down the road looking for another way to go. It was very aggravating. If I would have known about it, I would have left a half hour early. As it was, I just barely got here on time.
The Rockies lost their game against Philadelphia today, but it was a great game. Everything that possible could happen in a game happened. There were missed calls and bats flung out into the stands. Jim Tracy our manager was thrown out of the game. We were up most of the time. At one point we were up 7-3. Then, in the top of the seventh inning, they take out our starting pitcher and put in three reliefs. Of course Philadelphia makes nine runs that inning. We end up pulling within one run. We had several opportunities in the eighth and ninth, but we couldn’t pull it out. It was very exciting and would have been an incredible game if we would have managed to win. It would have put us only four and a half games down in the Wild Card. Now, we’re not out of the running, but it’s going to be a difficult climb. We’re playing the Padres next. They’re at the top of the division, but they’re coming off of a seven game losing streak. Let’s hope we can take advantage of that. Then, we have the Reds. They’re at the top of their division also. It’s going to be an interesting September.
I got a little way into chapter 29 yesterday so I’m going to finish that up today. It looks like I’m going to have a normal shift for the next couple of weeks, so I’m going to have to buckle down if I’m going to make my schedule. I’m putting Styx on in the background so, it’s time to get busy.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment