Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sep 22

Today was the commission ceremony for my daughter’s JROTC. The pictures didn’t come out very well, it was kind of dark. But, I’m posting them on my facebook page anyway. It was a logistical nightmare trying to get everyone there. It was held at a different school halfway across town. Every time we turned around, someone needed a ride. But, we managed to get everyone there. There were ten battalions besides the Brigade platoon that were receiving their promotions. We were the fifth and before it was our battalion’s turn, there was only light applause. As soon as we got up there, it was like an explosion. After that, the parents and friends of the other schools began cheering much louder. I was surprised that there were so many girls. All ten battalions were predominantly female. There were some that only had a single guy in the whole platoon. I wonder if more girls are joining the military than guys. I guess it doesn’t matter, but it was interesting. There was one thing that I didn’t like. Usually, my eldest calls the cadence. But, since she was the new colonel and the battalion commander she wasn’t supposed to do it. The battalion Sargent Major was supposed to. I might be prejudice, but my daughter would have been better. She has a much louder voice (When calling cadence) and I couldn’t hear the other girl.
Well, we lost yesterday to the Diamondbacks. That put us back in the playoff race. So, I was anxious to get to today’s game. Since we were at the JROTC ceremony, I couldn’t watch it. But, with a long drive, I was able to listen to it. We were four to one until I got home. Then, Arizona jumped up to Five to four. It has been like that now, into the eighth. We really can’t afford to lose again. But, the Giants were nice enough to lose today which only really helps us if we win. The Padres are being stubborn. They are leading the Dodgers by two in the eighth. (Crap, the Diamondbacks just got another run. This doesn’t look good.)
I was able to get quite a ways into chapter 37 yesterday. I’m going to finish it today and start on 38. There is no way that I’m going to be able to start until the game is over though. So, we’ll see what happens.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment