Monday, December 27, 2010

Dec 27

Christmas went great. There were a bunch of little problems leading up to it, but when the day arrived everything went very smoothly. Both of the girls received laptops. My youngest managed to download a virus on the first day. (We’re so proud.) It was a system tool virus. In fact, it was a system tool 2011 virus. Whoever made it upgraded it. It was a nasty one to begin with, and it still is. I pulled it off, and warned her how to avoid it in the future. My son received a charcoal grill. He likes cooking outside. It has a main grill and a little sidecar grill. We placed it under the stairwell at his apartment about two weeks ago, because it was too big and we didn’t have any place to hide or store it. His apartments require all of the grills and bikes to be housed under the stairs. We locked it up and were planning on putting a big bow on it. I was going to wrap up the key to the padlock inside a huge box. But, none of that happened. I put the padlock keys in my jacket pocket and then tossed my jacket into the backseat. Yep, they slipped out and I lost them. My eldest daughter found them and put them somewhere, but couldn’t remember if it was in her pocket or inside the car somewhere. We searched and searched but couldn’t find them again. On Christmas Eve, we brought one of my granddaughter’s presents down to their apartment, but remembered that we forgot the bow after we got there. Luckily on Christmas morning, the kids came down to our house to unwrap presents. While they were loading the baby’s gifts into their car, my daughter in-law found the keys lying in the alley. So, we didn’t have to cut the chain off. My daughter in-law received a new phone. But, we let her have it before Christmas. (She needed it) So, we wrapped the empty box and she had to pretend it was in there. My wife received a Kendle. She also received a bunch of romance books, so she hasn’t used it yet. She wants to get the book books out of the way first. What is really going on is she shares her books with one of the ladies at her job. So, if she starts using the Kendle, she won’t be able to share with her anymore. So, I’m going to be on her friend’s hit list when she finally runs out of books. All in all, everything worked out really well.
Christmas dinner was enormous. We had Turkey, Ham, and Roast Beef plus all of the trimmings. I ate waaaaaaay too much. But, I still managed to cram a slice of pumpkin pie in there somewhere. I’m not really a drinker anymore. In my earlier days, I was probably an alcoholic. I used to drink like a fish. But, I don’t really have much anymore. I remember one of the lieutenants in my company in the Marines tell me that if he drank a six pack a year, he was over indulging. I didn’t believe it was possible for someone to only drink a six pack a year. But, I’m pretty much there now. (It’s weird what age will do to you) But, anyway, my brother in-law brought over a bottle of rum. (He actually brought over several bottles) My wife broke out the cards and we started playing poker. Since it was a special occasion, I had a drink while we were playing. It wasn’t strong and I nursed it for quite a while. But, by the end of the night I had three or four. My wife had about ten. It seemed like we were drinking and playing all night, but when we finally got up so that people could start leaving it was only seven thirty. (Did I mention I was getting old?)
My books were a big hit. I handed out a copy of each of them to all of the families. Between my family and my wife’s family, it was eighteen sets of eleven. (Yes, them puppies were heavy) There is only one set left that goes to one of my cousins. He was spending Christmas with his girlfriend and her kids and her parents. I’ll get them to him as soon as I can. But, I had to work on Sunday so I didn’t get a chance yet. One of my wife’s sister’s boyfriends turned out to be a poetry writer. He turned out to be an ok guy. He asked about how to self publish so I hooked him up with Createspace and Smashwords. He recited one of his poems and it was pretty good. I hope he does well. I’ll put a link on my website to where you can preview his book when he gets it ready.
Woo Hoo, the Broncos won another game. Tim Tebow the rookie quarterback did much better this week than last week. For the first part of the game, they were still making him throw only short passes to the sidelines and little screens. Needless to say we went down by more than two touchdowns before the half. The coach must have gotten a hint by the way that the crowd was booing him that everyone wanted Tebow to open up. It was the second to the last game of the season and they might as well let him show everyone what he could do. The second half was much better. We ended up winning 23 to 24. At least the coach didn’t have him run so much. Last week he ran the ball about ten or fifteen times. If they kept that up, he would have gotten hurt and then where would we be. (He did run in the final touchdown, but he did try to pass before he ran it) The only bad thing that came out of the win yesterday was the fact that we lost the first draft pick. If we lose next week, we might get the second pick. But, I’m going to that game and I don’t want to see them lose. (When is baseball going to start?)
I had to work on Sunday, so since I wasn’t able to watch the game, I was able to get a little farther than I expected on Cutie Pie, Baby Pie. I’m on chapter 20 now. I should be able to get that knocked out today depending on what’s happening. I’ll start it in about four hours. Until then, I better save some stuff for tomorrow’s post. See ya then.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment