Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 5

Well, it has been a few days since my last blog update. The reason: I do this at work when I’m supposed to be working and for the last several days there have been computer problems. That means no internet which is like a fate worse than death. It is so boring here without even the basics like internet radio. Everything is still not working correctly, but at least the internet is back up and running.
So, where to start? The Rockies lost today and yesterday against the Atlanta Braves. We are a few games back from five hundred now and like six or six and a half out of first in our division. But, the worst thing about baseball is that both Tulo and Carlos Gonzales are both injured. Gonzales caught a ball out in center but didn’t stop in time. He crashed into the wall and hurt his wrist. It looked like a bad crash. He’ll be out for a few days. Tulo hurt his right leg while running to first. It is the same kind of injury that kept him out for a month or so at a time over the last couple years. But, it was on a different leg. In the previous years, he tried to play through the pain and ended up hurting it worse. This time, he took himself out and is resting it before it gets bad. He might miss a few games, but at least he won’t miss a few weeks worth of games.
We had a nice fourth of July, at least during the times I didn’t work. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a four day weekend like seemingly everyone else in the world? One of these days. Anyway, leading up to the fourth, my wife and I agreed not to buy any fireworks because we are saving up for our trip out to S. Carolina to go to my daughter’s graduation from boot camp. We were really good until my son said he was going out to Wyoming to get some. (They’re legal in Wyoming) So, my wife offered to drive him out. I didn’t go. I knew I would be tempted. When she got back, however, she had a huge bag of fireworks. She said she had to get them for our youngest daughter. But, it was fun lighting them off. I only managed to burn myself twice. Once on the palm of my left hand and once on the ring finger of my right. My wife got some good pictures of the kids next to the fireworks, and the whole time, my granddaughter kept yelling at the kids to move away from them so that they wouldn’t get hurt. (She was the only sensible one out of all of us) For some reason, everyone kept throwing the smoke bombs into the small puddle of water. (No one could aim when they were throwing them) I only got to see the first part of the fireworks, because I had to go to work. But, when I got home, the whole street smelled of gunpowder or whatever they use to make them. Surprisingly, it was the front that smelled like that and was littered with firework leftovers. We were lighting them off in the back, in the alley. So, it was the neighbors that lit off most of them.
without the internet and stuff at work, you would have thought I would have gotten a lot of work done. But, it was just the opposite. I was just not feeling anything. So, I put in the fifth Harry Potter audio book and listened to it most of the weekend. I’m about half way through, but I’m not going to listen to it until I get some stuff done. I think I’m going to work on the Great Detective sequel because I sent a letter to my daughter. It should have gotten picked up by the mail today. So, I’ll need to send her a new detective story by Wednesday or Thursday. So, I guess I better get started. I’m putting Motley Crew, Def Leppard, and Guns and Roses into the playlist for background music tonight.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment