Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 28

I just pulled a mean virus off of the work computer today. It actually happened last night. The guy I work with called me over and said he didn’t know what was happening with the computer. As it turned out, he had an Internet Security 2012 virus. He said all he did was click on the internet. But, I’m pretty sure he would have had to go to a site in order to get it. But, that’s irrelevant. I’ve pulled viruses off of that computer for a couple of years now and I started working on it. I thought I had it off a few times, but when I rebooted it would come right back. So, there was obviously something I was missing. I tried looking it up on some of the other computers here at work, but all of them were password protected. So, I couldn’t do anything. The problem with that is that the boss would come in in the morning and freak out. He had everyone sign something saying we wouldn’t use the internet for personal business and the last time someone got a virus, I wasn’t working so I didn’t get a chance to pull it off before he came in. The guy nearly got fired. So, we were worried that the night guy I work with was going to get in trouble. The only thing I could do was rush home and look up what I needed on my computer at home. Then, I called it in and had one of the guys that took over for us and walk him through what needed to be done. And, what needed to be done was kind of involved. So, I gave him a hack that would stop the pop ups and told him I would take the virus off when I got in tonight. Since no one got in trouble, I guess my boss didn’t find out about the virus. I started pulling it off tonight and it was a mean one. I got it completely taken off, but it left me with a little present. It disassociated .exe so that whenever I clicked on an executable, it didn’t know what to do with it. There is an easy solution for that. You just have to add it to the folder file types. Unfortunately, since the last virus where the guy nearly got fired, the establishment has locked a lot of stuff down. And adding a file type was one of them. There are ways around almost anything, and in this case, I would have to go into the register and change about fifteen things. Of course regedit was also locked off so I had to make the changes in a reg file and run it. The whole thing took about an hour, but that’s an hour I’ll never get back.
The Rockies avoided the sweep yesterday, winning 3-1 against the Dodgers. We were off today and we are taking on the Padres tomorrow. We’re still in the slump, and it looks like we’re going to need a miracle to get out of it. We’ve only won one of our last five games and our playoff hopes are going to soon be in jeopardy if something doesn’t happen soon. We are officially twelve games out of first in the west and we are eight games out of second. We could really use a good winning streak right about now. Even thought the Padres are in last place in our division, they are only three games back, so I can’t say that they are a soft team. But, it would be nice to start our streak with them.
Not much has been happening on the home front. My youngest daughter got a birthday card from my oldest daughter in boot camp. But, none of the rest of us got a letter. I’m going to write one this weekend to her. I had to work some overtime on Tuesday. My wife had a stressful day at work because the owner was supposed to show up. He never did. The baby seems to rather play with the little kids instead of spending time with us old farts. We’re going to take her to Chuck E. Cheese on Sunday. One of my nieces has planned a family get together. It should be fun.
Well, I better get to real work. It’s after midnight and all I really did so far was pull that virus off of the computer. I’m going to put Styx, Twisted Sister, and Boston in the playlist for background listening and maybe I’ll get something accomplished.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment