Thursday, February 17, 2011

Feb 17

I got my last book back from the editor. There are a few changes that need to be made and a couple of misspelled words. So, I’m going to have to go through those today and fix everything up. That means that I’m going to have to start sending it out to agents. This is the part I really hate. I don’t mind the rejections, everyone gets them. It’s the work involved. I know that makes me sound lazy. But, that’s not what I mean. It just takes a lot of time to study the agency I’m sending it out to, writing personalized query letters and formatting everything to the exact specifications that they want. And, each one wants everything just a little different. It just takes too much time. I would much prefer to get back to writing the next book. But, it’s part of the business so I’m putting chapter two on hold for now. I should have a good list and all of the requirements in about a week. I’ll try to get in a few pages here and there, but no promises.
Today ends the work week for my new company. But, next week looks about the same. They haven’t hired anyone for the vacant morning shift so not only am I still working seven days, I also get to work a bunch of twelve hour shifts. I can’t wait until I actually sell one of my books. I probably won’t be able to just quit, but I will be able to afford to say no to the overtime. At least there is a light on the horizon. The new guy for the graveyard shift is starting in March, so I will actually get a day off pretty soon.
My wife and the girls went to a basketball game today. It wasn’t the NBA, it was a high school game. It was actually the last high school game of the season. One of my daughter’s friends was playing in it and he was afraid that his parents weren’t going to be able to make it. So, he asked the girls if they would ask my wife if she would go. He wanted someone to be there because the kid’s mothers were going to go out onto the court with the kids when they were introduced. Luckily, the kid’s parents made it but the wife and my kids stayed for the game anyway. They ended up losing, but it was a good game. I would have gone, but I was asleep.
It was payday today and I received my biggest check since I’ve been working here. It was close to what I was making when I worked for Merrill Lynch, but there, I didn’t have to work all of the overtime. At least I don’t get as good of benefits. (<- Sarcasm, in case you didn’t notice) Well, it’s time to get to work. I’m going to put some ELO, Queen, Stevie Nicks, and Night Ranger into the playlist today so I don’t go crazy.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment