Thursday, December 1, 2011

Dec 1

http://www.thomnichols.com/
It is the first day of December and I have been negligent again on updating my blog. I’m getting to be really bad at this. So, I am going to blame it on the turkey. I ate too much turkey over Thanksgiving and because of it I’ve become lazy. But, now that it is over, I’m back to normal.

Since I’ve already brought up turkey, let’s get into Thanksgiving. The big news was that my daughter came home for the holiday. It was great seeing her, even though it was only for a few minutes. Just kidding. She did spend some time with us, but she also had to split her time between a bunch of people. I guess I’m just being jealous. I got off at six in the morning on turkey day and had to pick her up at the airport at ten. So, at nine, I rounded up everyone that was coming and we set off. My granddaughter had a cold, but she still wanted to come. So, she wanted me to hold her the entire time. We waited by baggage claim carrousel number four and it took her forever to get there. We were out by eleven, so it wasn’t really that long. She looked good in her uniform, but she had some problems getting out. It turned out that her company wasn’t going to sign her out in time to catch the ride she arranged with the other soldiers because her flight was later than theirs. She was pretty upset, she spent a lot of money on the tickets and she really wanted to come home. Without catching the ride, she would have had to come up with taxi money all the way to Atlanta which for one person was over $260.00. She couldn’t afford it. But, her friends came to the rescue. They all pitched in and she made it out.
We spent Thanksgiving day with my wife’s family. After dropping everyone off, I went to get a few hours sleep. Thanksgiving dinner was at two O’clock, so it really was just a couple of hours. It went really well, everyone showed up. I fell asleep after dinner in time to go to work again that night. I had to work the next night as well, so I really didn’t get to see my daughter very much. We had Thanksgiving for my side of the family on Saturday. It was also very nice. Everyone was there except one of my sister’s daughters. She is fighting with the rest of the family and we didn’t think she would make it.
The Broncos are kicking butt. We’re in second place and now the rest of the city is on the Tim Tebow bandwagon. He still struggles throwing the ball, but he’s managing wins. Our defense is really taking up the slack. We’re holding the other teams to very low scoring games giving Tebow a chance to get the offense fired up. I missed last week’s game because I had to work. But, I’m off this week, so I get to see them on Sunday.
Speaking of work, it looks like we’re going to get screwed out of our bonus this year. The new company said that they were going to grandfather us in so that we didn’t lose our sonority and it would be as if we had already been working there for all the years we’ve been here. Well, when I took my vacation, I didn’t get paid for it. Now that it is Christmas time and the one year mark has passed, the company is supposed to give out a yearly bonus. But, they are saying that we’re not going to get it because we have to work for them for a year before we’re eligible for it. So, it looks like everything they have promised us so far was a bunch of crap. On the brighter side of work, one of the guys is taking three weeks off to go out of country to spend Christmas with his wife’s family. So, that means overtime. Without the bonus, I’m going to need it. If anyone read my blog entry about last Christmas with this company, you’ll know that I was screwed over then as well as this year. At least this year it wasn’t as badly as last year. Hopefully that is a trend and it will get better next Christmas. If not, I’ll probably be fired or something next year.
My youngest daughter is still working at the movie theater. She still likes it. She got her first paycheck the other day and I took her to the bank to set up an account. If it was my first paycheck, I would have already spent it. But, she still has more than half of it left. She worked a lot of hours over Thanksgiving, but she’s only part time and doesn’t have very many hours this week. She’s saving her money for a car and we’re going to go halfsies on it.
My granddaughter seems to be getting smarter and smarter every day. She’s using big words I wouldn’t think a four year old would even hear much less use and use correctly. She’s also started using the phone a lot. She knows mine and my wife’s numbers and has been calling us a lot lately. When she first started I thought it was her mom or dad calling us and then just handing her the phone. But, she grabs my wife’s phone and calls me and I’ve seen her grab my phone and call my wife. The other day, she was sitting on my lap while we were playing on the computer and she had my wife’s phone. She called me and we spent about half an hour talking to each other even though we were right there beside each other.
I have been really pounding out pages on the River of Magic. It’s going to be done this month, but I don’t think I’ll have time to include it as a Christmas present to everyone. We’ll see.
Well, I better get going. I’m just putting the internet radio on today for background music because I have a lot to do. So, next week, I’ll try to remember to update my blog on time.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment