Monday, April 16, 2012

April 16

As usual, please visit my website at http://www.thomnichols.com/
Let’s get it over with. The Rockies lost again today. That’s ten games in the books and we’re 4-6. It’s not the way I wanted it to start, but it’s still just the first ten games. I really would have liked us to sweep the Padres, but they beat us today 7-1. That put them at 3-8. Yes, that’s embarrassing. The worst part is that the Padres are my brother’s team and he’ll probably be obnoxious until we kick their butts tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow, my wife got us four tickets in the fourth row right beside first base. We had a couple of these tickets last year and they are phenomenal. The game starts at 6:40, so I had to arrange it with the boss at work to be late about an hour. So, it better not rain. We went to the game on Saturday against the Diamondbacks. We got there a little late, but it was ok, the game had a rain delay. The Rockies were kicking butt for the first four innings. Then, it started raining. My wife pulled out about fifty dollar store ponchos. (One size does not fit all) We got everyone mostly in them, but it just started coming down to hard. If we wouldn’t have had my granddaughter with us, we might have stayed longer. But as it turned out there was another rain delay as soon as we left. When we got home, the game resumed and everything switched around. The Diamondbacks were doing everything right and they switched the game from a 5-0 deficit into a 5-6 lead. I was at work for the rest of the game, but I was on the edge of my seat. Todd Helton finally hit a two run homer to win the game for us. But it was a nail biter. Since we lost today, I’m expecting us to kill the Padres tomorrow. Hopefully we’ll have Carlos Gonzales back. He’s been out with strep throat for the last two games. But, he was at the field tonight. So, there is a good chance he’ll play tomorrow.

Not a whole lot happened this week. My eldest daughter had to do her army weekend this weekend. It was Friday, Saturday and Sunday instead of just the two days. I didn’t know they had three day weekends, but she said that there can even be four day weekends if they want. They didn’t say that in the recruitment office. But, she’s getting paid for it, so I don’t see the real problem. They did tell her that they are sending her off to computer school in a few months. They had told her that before, but this time it is official. She’s got orders and dates. She’ll be going to Arkansas. Yes, I did warn her not to go anywhere barefooted. (Ticks all over the place in that state)
MY youngest daughter is trying to get a new job. She’s still keeping the one at the movie theater, but she needs something in the day when school gets out. She needs it for two reasons. (No, one of the reasons isn’t because I want to work her to death) She’s going to save all the money from her second job for college and since she works nights at the theater, she doesn’t want to end up sleeping all day.
My daughter in-law is also looking for a new job. I haven’t heard if she’s found one or not. But, she came over this weekend to update her resume. It’s my fault she couldn’t do it on her computer. I originally made it, but I used Microsoft Project and she doesn’t have that on her laptop. So, when she opened it, it looked like a bunch of gibberish. My youngest daughter converted it so that she could work with it and I assume that they got it all finished. I should have been more helpful in the whole situation, but the Rockies were on upstairs. (I’m such a bad person)
My granddaughter and I spent one of the days this weekend sneaking around and eating one of her chocolate Easter rabbits. We had to do it on the sly because we hadn’t eaten lunch yet. Her grandma doesn’t like her eating candy before eating real food. (Especially that much chocolate, I didn’t think there was anyone that could eat more chocolate than I could.) So, every time my wife walked by, we had to pretend to be on our best behavior. She never found out.
My wife also had to work a little overtime today. They made her go in at 3 in the morning. I don’t know what it was about this last week, but it was overtime central. I put in three 12 hour days and had to work on Saturday. It sucked. But, I’ll have a good paycheck coming up next Thursday.
I didn’t quite make my ten query letters. But, I did get eight of them out. I know I messed up on three of them, so those were a waste of time. I always seem to do that. I don’t like the business end of it, so I must subconsciously sabotage myself. But, now that they are out of the way, I can sit back and wait for the rejections and get started on my next book. I was going to work on Gremlin Planet, but a new one has been creeping around in my head and it wants to come out first. It’s called Sliders and it seems to be a much more fun book than Gremlin Planet. So, I’m going to throw down a few chapters and see how it works before I make a real decision. So, I better get started on it. I’m putting the Eagles, Rush, Stray Cats, and Dire Straits into the playlist for background listening. I’ll see you again next Monday.
-Thom

No comments:

Post a Comment